BASF at CHINAPLAS 2017: Booth 11.2A41, China Import & Export Fair Complex, May 16-19, 2017
Guangzhou, China – May 16, 2017 – At CHINAPLAS 2017, BASF showcases innovations that have been co-created with local brand owners and designers for smarter living, using its innovative materials solutions, at the “Design x Innovation” event. Together with Chinese companies including Battle Fushida, Midea, Putao Technology, SIASUN Robot and Yanfeng, BASF is contributing to the design and development of innovative products that meet the challenges of modern living, ranging from automated manufacturing and sustainable transportation, to smart home appliances and educational toys for children.
“The five TRIO co-creation projects, demonstrate how BASF works with brand owners and designers to create product solutions for smarter living. It also shows how the potential of our innovative material solutions can be unlocked to enable and inspire designs,” said Andy Postlethwaite, Senior Vice President, Performance Materials Asia Pacific, BASF.
Innovative materials inspire and enable design to meet the challenges of modern living
· Developed in collaboration with Battle Fushida and LOE Design, airless bicycle tires made with Elastopan®, a PU microporous foaming material, are non-slip, anti-aging, and highly wear and fatigue resistant. As such, they can be used for a longer time, with better performance and minimal maintenance. Compared to rubber, Elastopan is also much lighter, making the bicycle easier to handle. This elastic PU material also has outstanding damping performance which significantly enhances comfort and the overall riding experience, with reduced vibration. The innovation makes two-wheelers more durable, comfortable and light, while potentially enabling a more sustainable bicycle sharing system in China.
· Meeting the overwhelming demand for safe and mentally stimulating toys was the inspiration behind the prototype of a unique children's toy co-created by Putao Technology, TEAMS Design and BASF. Made with BASF's new food-safe grade Ultradur® polybutylene terephthalate (PBT), the toy consists of modular parts such as batteries and connectors, which have to be paired together correctly. As the Ultradur can be molded into complex shapes, it offers freedom of design for the production of children's toys.
· To meet the demand for functionality, safety, durability, and better look-and-feel in home appliances, Midea, Chris Lefteri Design, and BASF have applied a variety of material solutions to create a robot vacuum, steam oven, air purifier, canister vacuum and standing fan. In the robot vacuum, for instance, BASF's Infinergy E-TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) has been applied on the bumper to increase the product’s shelf life. In the top shell of the air purifier, aliphatic TPU has been used to provide high clarity, as well as excellent haptics.
· To help manufacturers boost production speed while lowering energy costs, a lightweight cobot made by SIASUN, with BASF’s thermoplastic polyurethane elastomer Elastollan®, glass fiber reinforced polyamide Ultramid® and 3D printed polyamide-6, possess superior mechanical strength, comfortable haptics, abrasion resistance, chemical resistance and electrical insulation. Compared to traditional materials, Elastollan and Ultramid are simple to process and provide greater ease of coloring and decoration.
· BASF's Haptex®, an innovative polyurethane (PU) solution for the production of synthetic leather, is applied to an automotive instrument panel developed by Yanfeng. It helps improve indoor air quality and complies with stringent volatile organic compounds (VOC) standards in car interiors, as no organic solvents are used. Haptex also provides superior product properties and excellent haptics for synthetic leather. As such, it improves the look and feel of the instrument panels.
“Designs that support the ‘artisan spirit’ are defining China as a global creative power and transforming it into an innovation-oriented society. With our material innovations, integrated design, trend research and simulation capabilities, we will continue to facilitate amazing designs that meet human needs and meet the latest regulations and standards,” added Postlethwaite.
At CHINAPLAS 2017, BASF will also showcase a range of other innovations for smarter living. The innovations to be showcased include the RN30 concept vehicle, TeamUP Chair and PaiBand, a wearable health and fitness device for children. The RN30 was jointly developed by BASF and Hyundai Motor Company, and combines key solutions from the chemical industry with purposeful aerodynamic design and specialized high-performance technologies. The TeamUP Chair designed for use in modern office environments, is made with 20 different materials from BASF. The PaiBand was produced by Putao Technology and made with BASF’s high-performance TPU Elastollan for excellent haptic experience and durability.
About BASF’s Performance Materials Division
BASF's Performance Materials division encompasses the entire materials know-how of BASF regarding innovative, customized plastics under one roof. Globally active in four major industry sectors – transportation, construction, industrial applications and consumer goods – the division has a strong portfolio of products and services combined with a deep understanding of application-oriented system solutions. Key drivers of profitability and growth are our close collaboration with customers and a clear focus on solutions. Strong capabilities in R&D provide the basis to develop innovative products and applications. In 2016, the Performance Materials division achieved global sales of € 6.9 billion. More information online: www.performance-materials.basf.com
At BASF, we create chemistry for a sustainable future. We combine economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility. The approximately 114,000 employees in the BASF Group work on contributing to the success of our customers in nearly all sectors and almost every country in the world. Our portfolio is organized into five segments: Chemicals, Performance Products, Functional Materials & Solutions, Agricultural Solutions and Oil & Gas. BASF generated sales of about €58 billion in 2016. BASF shares are traded on the stock exchanges in Frankfurt (BAS), London (BFA) and Zurich (BAS). Further information at www.basf.com.